Goji Berry Bread Recipe
Traditional herbalist prepared goji berries to support the health of the kidneys and lungs, to benefit the health of the eyes, and improve vision. For these purposes, the berries are often combined with goji root bark, rehmannia root, and chrysanthemum flowers.
- 3 c unbleached flour
- 1 tbs rye flour
- 1 packet fast-acting yeast
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 1/2 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/3 c goji berries
- 1/4 c sunflower seeds
- Add a small quantity of water to goji berries and let stand 10 to 15 minutes to hydrate the berries.
- Combine warm water, yeast, salt and flour in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and knead a few times.
- Fold into the dough the goji berries and sunflower seeds.
- Place on parchment-lined baking stone or pan.
- Sift a light coat of flour over top and let rest 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F while the dough rests.
- Slash top of bread with a knife when ready to bake.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until deep, golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a rack.